Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Introduction and Mission Statement

The title says it all: I’m a functioning addict and these are my memoirs. What’s my poison? Take your choice. Alcohol, I can’t imagine life without it. Drugs, they go great with alcohol. Gambling, it has been and continues to have the potential to be a problem ten times greater than the first two combined. But I’d be lying to you – and what is infinitely worse, to myself – if I told you that these three vices, the holy trinity of my addiction, embodied the essence of my plight. Because I could give up all three and I’d find something else to replace them with; for the struggle of my life is not only with the aforementioned vices, but with the process and love of addiction itself.
This is being written for all the functioning addicts out there that spend their lives controlling, resisting, indulging and negotiating with the beast within. I don’t care if your thing is overeating, hoarding, sex, television, prescription pills, shopping, adrenaline, smoking, overwork or bee stings. If you are addicted, yet you are surviving in society, contributing to something outside of yourself, if you are struggling to maintain your existence as you see it, even in the face of everything everyone else tells you, even if you are defying logic, you are my sibling. I embrace your struggle and your dilemma. I offer you something greater than hope. I offer you my understanding and my fascination with and love of your condition. I sing the body addicted.
What is this experiment? Where will it lead? There is really no way to be completely certain. Sometimes entries to this forum will take on the structure of personal remembrances, thoughts, ideas and experiences. Sometimes fiction will also be indulged. I guess if anybody writes to me or wants to add something to the forum I may feel obliged to publish their thoughts as well. It is important that the medium be flexible and amorphous so that it shall remain inclusive, non-judgmental and open to all.
There are a few unifying tenants that I have compiled, however, to give the forum some semblance of structure and direction, and to remind myself why I am writing this. These tenants can be increased or eliminated as time goes on and further truths reveal themselves. I only apply these tenants to myself, so you may take them or leave them as you wish. It would be unfair if I did not thank the good people at Alcoholics/Narcotics/Gamblers Anonymous for a part of the inspiration which lead to them.
1. I am an addict. I remind myself of this regularly and never deny this essential truth.
2. Despite this first truth, I submit that there is no power outside of myself that is responsible for my behavior. I own the mistakes I make.
3. I function in society, albeit with great difficulty at times. I want to contribute something to the lives of others.
4. I have decided that my will alone has to be enough. Hopefully it shall be supplemented by the help and understanding of others like me.
5. I embrace my shortcomings and my character flaws so that I may successfully live with them.
6. I seek to know, understand and help others like me.

3 comments:

  1. Someone once asked me - who is your hero - without a second thought I said it is my addict. Now that may seem strange to some people, given the emotional, health, financial, spritual toll it has taken on our family but she is my hero for the exact reasons you stated at the end of your mission statement. The "beast" may never go away but it has been an amazing journey watching someone figure out how to deal with addiction and still function in society, be a loving person and process how much she has lost in life yet realize how much more there is too gain. The battle within takes strength and courage and for that she is my hero - my addict.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mjacquet11,
    Your statement is profound, original and true in the extreme. I cannot express properly in words my admiration and gratitude for your understanding and insight. If I never get another comment from another person on this site, this whole thing will have been worth while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - that was a nice compliment. Thank you, I'll be reading. By the way - figured out how to can my handle mjaquet11 is now truthistreandy

    ReplyDelete