Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Well I Guess its Official: I'm Moving to Mexico

For those of you who have not heard the news: small amounts of drugs carried for personal use are now legal in el Gran Nacion de Mexico. The law is as follows:

The maximum amount of marijuana for "personal use" under the new law is 5 grams. The limit is a half gram for cocaine. For other drugs, the limits are 50 milligrams of heroin, 40 milligrams for methamphetamine and 0.015 milligrams for LSD.

Are you kidding me? When are we going to catch up with the rest of the civilized world? Once again, our neighbor to the south has bested us in matters of government policy. Bravo, Presidente Calderon! I'll be closely watching your political career from my trailer in Tijuana.

¡Viva Hidalgo! ¡Viva!
¡Viva Morelos! ¡Viva!
¡Viva Josefa Ortiz de Dominguez! ¡Viva!
¡Viva Allende! ¡Viva!
¡Vivan Aldama y Matamoros! ¡Viva!
¡Viva nuestra independencia! ¡Viva!
¡Viva Felipe Calderon! ¡Viva!
¡Viva Mexico! ¡Viva!
¡Viva Mexico! ¡Viva!
¡Viva Mexico! ¡Viva!

3 comments:

  1. While it is true, it is not meant to be the begining of legalization drugs in Mexico. It is aimed at reducing the bribes that officers take from people caught with small amounts or small time criminals. The government of Mexico wants police to focus more on "the big fish" so that they can reduce the amount of trafficking. Yeah right, like this will happen. This fight has been going on for decades. I guess we as a society need to become more corrupt and traffic more drugs in order for small amounts to become legal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Nasty:

    Thanks for the insightful comment. It does seem that this move was made by the Mexican government to stem the tide of bribery payments to low level Mexican police officials. For me, as “the addict,” it is far less important why the decision was made than that it was made. You say that the law, “is not meant to be the beginning of legalization of drugs in Mexico.” I assume that you mean the Mexican government is not going to be setting up manufacturing plants or licensing producers of marijuana, heroin, cocaine and LSD. In this, I believe you are correct. But the bottom line for the user is this: it is legal to use and possess small amounts of these drugs in Mexico. In other words, you can get down without fear of government reprisal. Now that’s real freedom, the kind most American’s believe we have. And freedom is what really matters to me.

    Your comments on corruption are also interesting. I have to assume when you say, “I guess we as a society need to become more corrupt and traffic more drugs in order for small amounts to become legal,” you are implying that there is more corruption in Mexico than in the United States. And if you are talking about low level corruption, there is no doubt you are correct. The “mordida” or “bite” is as Mexican a tradition as Cinco de Mayo and the Day of the Dead, and it touches virtually every aspect of official life. I’m sure other readers of this blog could regale you with their own stories of Mexican bribery in the context of drug possession.

    But I’ll tell you what: in my own opinion, I’d say there is just as much overall corruption here in the U.S. as there is in Mexico, it’s just concentrated in fewer hands. Personally, I prefer a society where the little guy has as equal an opportunity to buy his way out of trouble or curry favor as the corporate mogul, sports star or television personality. That’s just me.

    But I digress. The bottom line is this: let’s get on down to Mexico and start the party. Who cares the reason, it is open season!

    ReplyDelete