Monday, February 15, 2010

Addict Recommends: (Restaurant) Bombay Garden, Newark, California


There are a few problems with all you can eat Indian buffets. First, there are never enough items to choose from. Second, the naan station is only refilled every so often, and even when plentiful the bread is often stale. Third, the quality of the food is generally second rate next to plated offerings. And finally, at virtually all restaurants, the buffet is only offered at lunch, not dinner. Despite these many shortcomings, I have still eaten regularly at the Indian buffet line for as long as I’ve been an adult, and for two simple reasons: it’s cheap and I get my fill.

Unlike me, my buddy Rick won’t eat Indian or Pakistani unless it is at a buffet. He finds the portions prohibitively small and the prices ridiculously high. So forget about, for example, Shalimar for dinner when we’re in the City. He simply won’t do it. And we’ve chatted for years – fantasized, in fact – about finding that all you can eat Indian buffet for dinner. But nobody does the buffet at dinner time because, apparently, it’s not cost effective.

Imagine our surprise and elation when, after an afternoon at the Pick n’ Pull searching out parts for our respective vehicles, we encountered Bombay Garden Indian Cuisine at 5995 Mowry Avenue in Newark, California.

Featuring 35 menu items and serving buffet style for lunch and dinner, Bombay Garden is, hands down, the finest Indian buffet I have ever encountered. It defies, in every category I mentioned earlier, the stereotypical Indian buffet. There are so many items, the main problem is not getting sidetracked with all the appetizers and alluring finger foods available for consumption. The naan bread is cooked fresh, and brought to your table in a basket immediately upon sitting down, and is refilled upon request. And the quality of the food stands up in every way to the plated, sit down Indian and Pakistani restaurants I have dined at in the past.

We ordered a large Taj Majal beer to split between the two of us. (But if you are not in the mood for an alcoholic beverage, soda and tea are available on the line for no extra charge.) In our five or six visits to the buffet we enjoyed Chicken Tikka Masala, Chicken Curry, Lamb Vindaloo, Lamb Saag, Yellow Lentils, Mattar Paneer and Tandoori Chicken, among a few other items. All were fresh, hot and clean tasting. The serving area was spotless, giving me feeling of confidence that the cuisine was sanitary. For desert we enjoyed a heaping portion of mango ice cream, which was in every way delicious.

And I haven’t even discussed the impeccable service. Unlike numerous experiences at other sub-continental restaurants in the past, the servers were quick to respond to requests for beverages and bread, and were exceedingly friendly and helpful in every way, bearing wide smiles and positive attitudes.

It is important to note that the Bombay Garden franchise has several locations in the Bay Area. I have personally dined at two of the others. But only the Mowry Avenue location meets the above description and gets my recommendation. The others are, simply put, average at best.

I don’t get down to Newark very often. It’s pretty far from my home base. But I assure you, every time I’m passing through for work or going to an Oakland A’s baseball game I’m making a stop at Bombay Garden.

1 comment:

  1. UPDATE: I returned to the Garden last Wednesday after another romp at the Pick 'N Pull and was sadly informed that the dinner buffet is only offered on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. I don't know if this is a new change in policy or not, but I wanted my readers to know the unsettling truth. Fortunately, there are two other full service buffets within a mile of the Garden.

    ReplyDelete