Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Nothing to Brag About


            This one had me in stitches when I first heard about it in November of 2019. And since we’re playing catch up a little bit, I figured I ought to share it here.
The State of South Dakota paid a whopping $449,000 to a Minneapolis advertising firm for an anti-methamphetamine campaign which some buffoon decided should be titled, “Meth: I’m on It.” It features a number of solid-looking rural South Dakotans in film and photo shoots declaring that they are “on” meth. Obviously, it was meant to indicate that they are hip to the problem and are vigilant about solving the scourge of methamphetamine in their community. Just as obviously, they failed completely in their mission, but did succeed in making a joke out of an entire state. 
The question is not just: what idiot came up with this campaign, and how did they get hired by an advertising firm in the first place? But it’s also: 2) how did their coworkers and boss see this and think it was a good idea? AND 3) get the good people in state government in South Dakota to agree that, indeed, this was a thoughtful and intelligent message to get out to the people, instead of a prank on par with the average intelligence of a high school freshman?
Hey: we’ve all experimented. And yeah, I’ve used meth, speed, Adderall, mini thins, No-Doz and yellow biker crank in my day. But as the title of the article suggests: I certainly wouldn’t be bragging about it. (Or would I?) Well, I definitely would not be dropping half a million to do so. That's for sure. 

ImageImage



No comments:

Post a Comment