Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Addict Recommends: (Bar/Restaurant) AA Bar and Grill, Eureka, California

There’s something about Eureka I find extremely appealing. Maybe it’s the cool climate or the dense fog rolling in off the Pacific Ocean into Humboldt Bay. Perhaps it’s the illusion of isolation: I know of few other towns of similar size so far away from everything yet having such a very real sense of place and history. It could be the lush, verdant mountains which contain some of the last of America’s great Redwood forests. Then again, it’s possibly all that good green bud that saturates every square inch of the city as well as the surrounding land. Ultimately however, it’s all of these things, united with a feeling of real independence from the people, regardless of whether they are hippies, fishermen, professionals, meth-heads, hunters, cowboys or farmers.

And in the center of it all, there is the AA Bar and Grill. Located in the heart of “downtown” Eureka at 929 Fourth Street, the AA is a real classic, the best of a handful of places that simply should not be missed on your next visit.

First of all, the AA has the best steaks in Eureka without question. You can get a large variety of cuts, from ribeyes to top sirloin, all of which come at a generous discount if you buy two of the same. But for me, there’s nothing like tackling the forty-nine ounce porterhouse, a genuine colossus in the world of meat which I am sorry to report I was unable to finish on my last visit. But if steak is not your thing there are a number of other items on the menu that are sure to satisfy, from prawns to the French dip, a burger to the fish and chips and a number of items in between.

It’s almost strange that they even serve food in the place, as it is definitely more bar than grill, at least in the physical structure of the interior. The room is dominated by a large, long horseshoe bar and has only three dining tables, so most people eat at the bar. (This setup is augmented by a dining patio outside.) The theme of the place is strongly nautical, with a number of ships’ wheels and stuffed marlin and sail fish on the walls. There is also a handsome fish tank located at the very center of the bar, which adds a peaceful underwater feel. For amusement, they have a good shuffleboard table and a faded but still working Ms. Pacman machine.

Well mixed drinks are $3.25 and they have a special on 32 ounce Michelob for $5.00, so you can down your fill on the cheap. Keep your eye out for Donna, the septuagenarian bartender with the smoky voice and kind demeanor. Also, look for half dollars with your change, a signature of the place that I found very charming. One word of warning: the AA generally closes at 11:00 p.m., unless there is a large group still drinking.

There was a time about a year ago when I completed a professional visit to Eureka extremely early, probably about 11:00 a.m. I had the rest of the day and a beautiful woman to share it with, so we meandered over to the AA after my appointment. Thrilled at my work-related success and the prospect of a whole day to squander, I bought the three or four other patrons in the bar a couple of rounds. The buzz was just settling in when I got to talking to one of the other fellas, a nice guy who had been out on his boat that very morning. He asked me how I liked the town. I told him I loved it, but would love it even more if I had some chronic to smoke. A moment later he left the bar with my female companion. She returned a few minutes later with a mason jar full of sweet, stinky buds, probably a half ounce or so. Recompense for my initial gesture in buying the drinks, she informed me.

Now I can’t tell you you’re going to have the exact same experience as I did, but I can tell you that’s just the type of spirit and kindness you will encounter at the AA.

No comments:

Post a Comment