Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving Greeting

Thanksgiving: our national day of excess. What a truly wonderful holiday, by far my favorite. How can I list all the ways it pleases me? From beginning to end, it is the one day of the year where even the most puritanical abstainer gorges at the table of gluttony.

I’m anticipating the deviled eggs, cheeses and brie, pate, copious breads and who knows what other pre meal savories. The turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes, creamed onions, green beans, cranberry sauce: these are dancing in front of my eyes. The deserts - Apple and pumpkin pie, ice cream and cookies. And all along the way, a parade of beers, wine and mixed drinks to benumb my senses and prepare my appetite.

And as if all of this were not enough, there is the unending stream of pro and college football games that will be on from the moment I arise until just before I pass out, emotionally and physically satiated.

I would like to extend my Thanksgiving greetings to all of you who may read it. As long as we live in a world where a day like tomorrow is allowed to flourish, where people can come in fellowship and family and test the limits of their personal consumption, there will always be something here worth living for. I hope you all enjoy your turkey day as much as I intend to.

2 comments:

  1. And here's an Ayn Rhindian explication of why this is all good.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20091125/cm_csm/yghate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vic,

    Awesome! My favorite Rand line is that Thanksgiving is "a typically American holiday" whose "essential, secular meaning is a celebration of successful production. It is a producers' holiday. The lavish meal is a symbol of the fact that abundant consumption is the result and reward of production."

    Ah, abundant consumption. Is there any other kind? I’d like to think not.

    ReplyDelete